Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Friday, October 06, 2006

Falls of Lora

Yesterday we played at the Grey Dogs tidal race off Scarba. It was the first day on the water for my new Explorer sea kayak. It left the factory the same day as Justine's new Tiger-skin Romany sea kayak. So I might name my 'dull' yellow-on-white Explorer Tweety...20061005015L
Today all the photo and video camera's are out, except mine :-(( for the Falls of Lora near Oban. It is the biggest spring tide of the year. It soon becomes clear who are the experts on this 'river-like' tidal phenomenon. Nick Cunliffe, Aled Williams and Mike ? are not intimidated by the extreme strong currents, eddies and whirlpools and impress with long surfs on the front wave and excellent active boat control; river paddling in sea kayaks. Nick manages an almost complete pop-out. My adrenaline runs high. Shaking knees after my first runs. I swam three times, rolled some more. But I managed some seconds surfing the front wave. And turned 360 degrees at a 45 degree angle stern-down in a whirlpool; an introduction to vertical bracing...

No comments: