Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Sunday, October 11, 2009

October Surfing

 200910111537300010_HH.JPG
Above is the first picture of my surf kayak; trying to get off the beach with fins takes a bit more effort or very much appreciated help.

I went out surfing with the Uitgeest kayak club at Castricum aan Zee. They have a very active surf group and Anoushka and Wieger invited me to join them today.

My kayak felt more stable than ever. I am apparently getting used to it. That it takes time to get used to, showed itself when others were trying out my kayak. Everybody quickly swam after trying to roll... Rolling has to be custom learned in this kayak. Although it was windy and the surf very soupy, I am starting to get some rides in.
200910111551060077_AH.JPG
I exchanged boats with Anoushka (she took above picture of Rene) for a while. With her 'long-old-style-ww-kayak' I managed to punch through beyond the breakers. I did not dare to catch anything in before I had regained my breath. I needed that breath when a big breaker munched me whole. I broadsided quickly and bongo-slided in various positions/angles through the break line. There are different ways of playing with the surf, or better: various ways the surf plays with me. And different boats give the surf different ways to play with.

The picture of me is taken by Hans (see picture below) who has written-up his account of the day on his blog.
 200910111550290566_AS.JPG

No comments: