Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where lightning strikes...

1, 2, 3, 4... Counting time between seeing a flash and the rumble is a good way of telling how far a bouts lightning strikes. Does it move closer, do I need to take any action? Can I stay in my sleeping bag or do I need to get up and huddle with my feet close together on my sleeping pad. Do I need to get out into the rain and run for cover into a nearby building?

FLASH BANG

The loudest lightning strike I have ever heard with absolutely ZERO seconds between the flash and the bang. It did not come with a warning of a closing-in thunderstorm, nor did any other strike happen after it.
Next morning it transpired what had happened on the adjacent field 50 meters away from my tent, and 20 meters away from the closest inhabited tent. Lightning had struck an empty 'seasonal tent', with some scorching and a blackened cooking unit.
How easy it appears for me (and others) to just register this totally separate from any 'what could have happened?'. I just hope the big metal cooking unit made the difference and I am glad that I generally do not pack the kitchen sink...

No comments: