Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Back Home

I settled-in at the Anglesey Outdoors centre. Formerly this was the Anglesey Sea & Surf Centre (ASSC) from where I first experienced tide-races at the sea kayak symposium in May 2000. Things have changed since then, but many things are still very familiar.

With Justine, just returned from Japan, and Barry I set out to what must be my 'home waters' by now; Penrhyn Mawr. With the remaining swell and wind it was quite big. The quartering wind from the stern made it difficult for me to catch straight rides at first.

Today I found another relaxing way to enjoy PM. Maneuvering myself to brace into the biggest breakers side-on and spin the kayak in the foam pile to start a run. And the odd 'catapult' into a surf from a wave braking over my stern. I watched Justine roll and Barry doing a perfect pirouette. I had to roll twice; once to prevent running into Barry. The other time I was caught out in the middle race. Happy to be rolling, despite the 'heavy' (tired) arms.

By the time we were back at Port Dafarch I was exhausted. Enjoying a hot chocolate at Trearddur Bay, a great day at home again.

No comments: