Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Joining the club

After 14 days on the water everyday, coaching and guiding in Anglesey, this Saturday would be my first day 'off'. It is a georgeous sunny day with little wind, so it would be a shame not to be on the water in any form or way. On the land I am rather tired, but in my kayak I quickly have my energy back.

I headed out (solo) from Porth Dafarch to Penrhyn Mawr. An hour later than yesterday when it ran great early, but strangely not much happening today. I landed on the middle rock for a nap. When after an hour or so I went back on the water I found the 'Saturday Club' playing in a gentle outer race. After a little play they invited me to join them towards South Stack race.

I am less familiar with South Stack race on the flood, so I would not have gone there on my own today. South Stack race was running like magic. Smooth long steep waves with the odd foam pile at first. Great for long and fast surfs. When the foam piles got more powerfull and less forgiving it was time to call it a day and we had lunch at Parliament House Cave.

Thanks Richard, Paul, Rachel, Mirco, Ed and Geafin for a great day with the Saturday Club.

No comments: