Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Monday, May 02, 2016

Rocking Sea

A beautiful day with wave action. Most in our group today are from Iceland and from the way they choose their route it looks that they are in a familiar environment.

After lunch, Rhoscolyn race had just started, but it did not look good to play there, because I soon lost sight of most of the paddlers. The first paddler I saw again I directed back to the eddy. Naturally the paddlers were a bit dissapointed that they could not play more than these few minutes in the race, but I knew this could only get worse by every minute passing.

Closely folowing the coastline playing with the wave action, I had to do a precautionary capsize when I saw a cresting wave threaten to set the paddler next to me on top of me from a meter above. I had unclipped my helmet because of neck chaffing and was reminded that this is not a good idea for when I rolled back up it came off my head and I had to 'fish' for it to get it back. In the end we had not collided. We made our way rock hopping back to Trearddur Bay.

No comments: