Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Tern back on the Skerries

Another gorgeous day, my last paddling day in Anglesey this time around. A perfect day for the Skerries to check if the Terns have arrived. With this tide I have guestimated a crossing on 300 degrees compass course. During the crossing I notice I am closing in on a couple. It is Rich and ? It turns out that it is their first visit to the Skerries. They spent all yesterday evening in the Paddler's Return pub on the tidal calculations having three sources saying them somewhat different things. I congratulate them on their spot-on navigation.

We're not alone at the Skerries. The screeching sounds are proof that the Arctic Terns arrived back in numbers for the season. Just three days ago it was still quiet. The RSPB warden tells me that the Terns hardly go quiet and that he uses ear plugs for sleeping. Two other paddling groups arrive with Phil and Nigel.

For the return journey I waited a bit for the tide to strengthen. In the meantime I played at still small races around the Skerries. I set my compass course out to 'intercept' West Mouse. I am amazed at the roughness of the sea between the Skerries and West Mouse for it is near neaps and only blowing a Northerly force 3 Beaufort. In front of West Mouse a sizeable race is running. A fast surf ending in bracing on a foam pile; maybe not the best of ideas to play here longer as a solo paddler... Staying well outside the inshore eddy, I used the 'conveyer belt' back to Harry Furloughs rocks. I add another sunny day to my Skerries statistics.

Today (May 15)is a good friends' Birthday. A perfect day and place to celebrate lifetime adventures.

No comments: